Infertility Services Include a Variety of Diagnostic Fertility Test Options
If you and your partner have had trouble conceiving, your fertility doctor may recommend a variety of diagnostic tests to determine the underlying cause. The exact type of fertility test that will be recommended will depend on a variety of factors, including your age and past medical history. However, common diagnostic tests that may be recommended include:
- Hysterosalpingogram 每 A procedure classified by taking an X-ray of the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes to examine if there is a blockage in the fallopian tubes or the uterus. A hysteroscopy is a similar fertility test that involves inserting an instrument similar to a telescope to inspect the uterus interior and cervix for any abnormalities.
- Laparoscopy 每 Performed under general anesthesia, this procedure involves making two small incisions in the abdomen through which a surgeon inserts instruments to allow for observation of the pelvic organs. When used as a fertility test, it can determine the existence of conditions such as endometriosis, scarring, blockages, and other irregularities of the fallopian tubes and uterus, which may be affecting fertility.
- Pelvic ultrasound 每 This test involves using high-frequency sound waves to produce pictures of organs inside the pelvis. The resulting images show both the structure and movement of organs.
- Saline ultrasound 每 Also known as a sonohysterogram, this fertility test involves injecting saline into the uterus while an ultrasound is performed to detect polyps, fibroids, and other abnormalities of the uterus that may be affecting fertility.
- Semen analysis 每 A comprehensive analysis of a semen sample to determine factors that may affect fertility, including the number of sperm, their shape, and their movement.
Tampa General Hospital fertility doctors and specialists provide a wide range of diagnostic testing and infertility services. We provide a complete evaluation of women and men to explore the factors affecting a couple＊s fertility. This includes a complete review of medical history and a physical exam, a semen analysis, and tests to determine a woman＊s hormonal levels, ovulatory function, and condition of her reproductive organs. Our highly trained and compassionate physicians and other staff members will determine which fertility test is best for you.