Larynx Cancer Causes
Like many other cancers, it is not entirely clear what causes larynx cancer. However, the condition has been linked to certain risk factors. Generally, cancer of the larynx, also called laryngeal cancer, forms in the squamous cells, which are the thin flat cells lining the inside of the larynx.
Some of the most significant risk factors and larynx cancer causes include:
- Age 每 The risk of laryngeal cancer increases as individuals get older.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) 每 Some studies have shown a link between HPV and laryngeal cancer.
- Tobacco use 每 Smoke from tobacco passes over the larynx on its way to the lungs, which is a source of irritation.
- Alcohol use 每 Excessive alcohol use has been linked to laryngeal cancer.
- Exposure to certain substances 每 Consistent exposure to harmful environmental substances, such as asbestos, may cause laryngeal cancer.
Some common symptoms that larynx cancer causes include difficulty breathing and/or swallowing, ear pain, hoarseness, and chronic coughing. For patients who have been diagnosed with laryngeal cancer, Tampa General Hospital offers a team treatment approach and leading-edge technology such as robotic surgery. By providing every patient with a unique treatment plan that is tailored to his or her unique condition, we maximize the potential for a positive outcome.
or call (813) 844-2200.